ProfessorFrances L. Wolfson Building Room 2009
5100 Brunson Drive
Coral Gables, FL 33146
Phone: (305) 284-2846
Fax: (305) 284-5205
Bruce Garrison is the author of a series of journalism and mass communication books including Professional Feature Writing (2010), Online News and the Public (2004), Computer-Assisted Reporting (1998), Successful Strategies for Computer-Assisted Reporting (1996), Professional News Reporting (1992), Advanced Reporting: Skills for the Professional (1992), and Professional News Writing (1990). He also authored Sports Reporting (1993) and co-authored Latin American Journalism (1991), as well as numerous book chapters and journal articles.
He serves on the editorial boards of Journalism & Mass Communication Quarterly and the Newspaper Research Journal.
Garrison also supervises several student writing Web sites:
- the Our National Parks feature writing project and Web site (http://ournationalparks.us)
- the South Florida Travel Writers Group Web site (http://students.com.miami.edu/travelwriting/)
- the Digital News Reporting Web site (http://students.com.miami.edu/reporting).
- the News Reporting and the Internet blog and reporting Web site (http://students.com.miami.edu/netreporting/)
- the South Florida Arts Review Web site (http://students.com.miami.edu/reviewing/).
He was a Research Fellow at Shanghai International Studies University in 2012 and he received a Fulbright Scholar grant and taught at Shanghai International Studies University in 2004-05. He continues to be an occasional guest lecturer at universities in China.
Ph.D. degree in journalism from Southern Illinois University.
M.S. degree in journalism from University of Tennessee.
Research focus includes:
- new technology and newsgathering
- journalists and their use of the Internet
- journalism ethics
- international journalism
- news reporting about the environment and national parks
- sports journalism